Monday, June 10, 2013

Growing Paper Flowers

I'm not the gardening type, but I do love flowers.  The new Sizzix flower dies are perfect for me because they allow me to feel like I am growing my own blossoms but I don't need to get my hands dirty LOL!  With just the tiniest bits of scrap textured card stock, you can create these realistic flowers.  The small card in the above photo used a piece of  Sizzix embossed card stock, an Eclipse (I think) cut lacy placecard, and just a single violet blossom added for the perfect Victorian-look touch.
To shape the blossom I used the McGill tools and embossing pad. I do believe the Sizzix has a system too. The inner yellow pip was cut from a Wilton stamen package (used for cake decorating). Using a large glue dot as a base made adhering the petals simple. Under the petals stuck to the glue dot is a die cut and embossed calyx, which forms a cup to hold the glue for the petals. Assembling die cut flowers (the small ones) on glue dots makes using them easy to adhere to any project. Maybe several dots could be stuck together to use for larger blossoms.  If you are an indoor flower gardener like me, you really need to invest in a few Sizzix flower dies.  Sitting in a comfy chair and making pretty flower embellishments is a very satisfying and relaxing experience, and it uses up paper scraps so it is environmentally friendly too!  Okay, armchair gardeners sit down and.create some flowers today....make the world more beautiful!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful...almost realistic!

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Hi Lynn! I sure love this pretty CAS card. Like you, I'm an "armchair gardener." Hee-hee, love that name. Thanks for sharing the tip on assembling the petals. I received a die as a gift recently and need to practice. Have a fun and crafty day.

Creations by Shirl said...

Love the flower color and the simplicity of your card..
TFS Lynn - inspiring die to have....

Cami said...

Lovely CAS card with just a wee flower to pretty it up.

Leanne said...

Pretty!! I don't have much of a green thumb when it comes to the real thing so i like that when i can use a die and paper and make it look good. hehe.
:D
xx

eunice said...

Oh so PRETTY!!! I fell in love with these Sizzix flowers too and got a few but haven't had a chance to play yet...your sweet card has gotten me excited--gotta get to it soon! Thank you for all the tips on assembling these...need to get those stamens...and using a glue dot to assemble is a fabulous idea I'll have to try!