The IO (Impression Obsession) tree die is one of my favorites. I think I use it at least once every autumn. This year I chose to make it more tree-like by cutting it out from a woodgrain paper that sort of looked like a wooden floor. To hide the lines between each plank of wood, I smudged on some brownish-grey ink after the tree was cut out. Somehow, the salmon colored paper with musical notes (from DCWV Autumn Melody pack) seemed just right for embossing with the leaf design (free from Papercraft Magazine). The musical notes and raised leaf design are barely visible, but I think they really add to the overall look of the card. To balance out the design, I added a die cut maple leaf (die also free from Papercraft magazine) that was rubbed with copper metallic paste and flecked with gold ink. The copper heat embossed words (TPC stamp) were made with Nuvo embossing powder (available at HM BFC). I am very happy with the quiet look of this card as it is sort of what I visually imagine falling leaves sound like in the early morning. Gosh, I wish we had a real fall season, but I guess then I'd be grumbling about raking up leaves. LOL!
My Vippies calendars just arrived so I started thinking about what I would do with them this year. I had already purchased a large package (50 I think) of coasters from our Celebrations store (next to the HM BFC Mapunapuna store) so I decided to use them as the base for the calendars.
Because I have so many calendars to make for an upcoming event, I decided that they had to be simple. I decided to use the Penny Black 'Dream Big' die because I think everyone needs to set their goals beyond what they can possibly imagine achieving. The words were cut out of a Tim Holtz gold foil paper from a pack.
For the base cover paper I used sheets from Me and My Big Ideas 'Mambi' 12x12 pack. There are some great designs in this set, some with gold glitter. I chose the marble sheets because then each calendar would be different. Each 12x12 sheet yielded nine 3-5/8 squares which were glued onto the coasters (double sided tape could also be used). Edges of the papers were trimmed close to the coasters before the gold sentiments, calendars and magnet sheets (on the back) were adhered.
Some of the covered coasters were not as sparkly as I desired, so I flicked on some gold Liquitex paint (before adding the words and calendars) and added a few adhesive backed acrylic gems. I think by keeping these calendars simple, I won't get 'burnt out' while making multiples and will have more time to spend on other holiday creations. Keep smiling while crafting throughout the 'jolly holly' season!