These two cards were inspired by free sample cards I received from a vendor at a trade show years ago. I didn't use the samples to make anything but I always intended to...hehehe! Anyway, while sorting out my hoarded Japanese washi (embarrassingly large) stash, I had a light bulb moment and set out to make these cards. First, I selected six paper swatches for each card and put the stiffest paper at the bottom. Each sheet was dampened on the bottom edge before tearing to achieve the deckled edge.
Next the sheets were layered, trimmed and tacked at the top edges so that most of each sheet was free floating. This way the card recipient can tear off the papers to use on a project of her own.
The words (Hero Arts) and Japanese characters (Mari and Me) were stamped on the cards using metallic inks before heat embossing with metallic powders My wooden stamps are vintage and probably difficult to find, but you can discover lots of great ones at HM Ben Franklin Crafts. Make a paper sample card and give it to a crafter who might enjoy making a card using the washi paper sheets from your card....that's recycling!
I like this new Blogger format even though the photos are gigantic....good for showing details but magnifies imperfections. LOL! Anyway, I'm not sure why I like ant images, but these Whimsy and Lawn Fawn ones were so cute. (I once ate ants that were covering a chocolate covered doughnut...ewwww! Also I was at one time plagued by fire ants who somehow nested in my toilet...painful! So why do I still think ants are cute?) I created this card to use the images and to try out the new LF pivoting pop-up die. I had to watch the Lawn Fawn video several times before I understood the mechanics of this unique paper gizmo. The card was further inspired by the lovely fruit patterned paper by Bella Blvd. My favorite part of this card (besides the awesome pivoting part) is the watermelon seeds on the front. I thought long and hard on how to create them without applying wet black dimensional paint...a recipe for disaster on an almost finished card. Finally, I came up with the idea of squirting some Glossy Accent onto black paper and using a pin to drag out a point on each seed. After the seeds were dry, I cut them out and glued them down. Eureka!..fake watermelon seeds! Well, that's all for today. Be nice and you'll have a nice day!
Here is a shaker summer card I made to send hope for better un-virus days to come. I wanted to use cheerful colors so I started with some Hero Arts reactive dye pads. I smeared them on watercolor paper and then sprayed water on the paper. When the colors blended as desired, I blotted the excess water. To add a more water-splashed look I sprinkled on some water droplets, waited a few seconds and then blotted them up. After letting the dyed paper dry completely, I used the Whimsy frame die to cut out the windows, saving the inside pieces. A piece of acetate was glued behind the dyed watercolor paper frame.
I glued a thin foam sheet to a piece of card stock and cut out two more frames. The two frames were glued together to make the wells that would hold the shaker pieces. The cute 'My Favorite Things' images were stamped, colored with Copic pens, and either die cut or fussy cut out. The images were glued to the front of the card and the window pieces were glued in.
Before gluing the top of the card down, some unicorn sequins (from HM BFC), Queen and Co. 'diamonds' and 'sugar' were added into the recessed areas. This card makes me happy which was the reason for its construction. Hopefully, it will help lift the spirits of its recipient. I am sending you sunny smiles too, via my blog. Enjoy! (If you have time to spare, I would love a sunny comment from you.)