Monday, August 17, 2020

Japanese Paper Card Making Kit

 I know that this photo doesn't show the kit to the best advantage, but I wanted you to see the interior of the box that began as a Japanese mini cake gift box.  Usually, I just paper the outside of boxes I want to up-cycle, but as you might be able to see from the inside of the box bottom, the sides of the box fold in making the box sturdier.  I discovered by unfolding the top of the box, it became a flat piece which I could easily cover with washi paper.  I used double sided tape and a little glue to get a good adhesion before refolding the box top. It was easy and looks very neat. Even my husband who scoffs at all the gift boxes I save (to re-purpose) had to admit that this was a worthwhile recycling project....so go ahead and save those gift boxes...LOL!
 Here are all the card parts unpacked from the cello bags (available at HM Ben Franklin Crafts).  The printed washi papers were cut with the largest die in the Lawn Fawn die set, 'stitched rectangle stackables'.  The envelopes and card blanks were from my stash...amazing what can be found under all the clutter!  I made some of the labels by stamping Japanese characters and heat embossing before die cutting with the smallest die from the LF set. ( I used copper ink and brass embossing powder.)  The assorted stickers were discovered in an overflowing box of hoarded Japanese paper items.  I am also including some Heiko double stick tape in the card kit because it is my favorite adhesive.
This is how I am presenting the card kit gift to one of my favorite girlfriends.  I made the card too so she can see how easy it is to create a card using the contents of this kit.  I am also suggesting if she wants a more abstract look she can wet the edges of the printed washi rectangle and gently tear to create a deckle edge. The turquoise paper raffia-like cording is available at Celebrations and perhaps HM BFC. I hope this gift idea has inspired you to think of making a card kit for a special friend.  You'll have fun assembling the parts and she'll enjoy being a creative card maker.  Remember: Save those boxes!

4 comments:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Beautiful kit and I love the design of the washi papers. Hope you are doing well during this crazy time we are all experiencing.

yyam said...

A thoughtful and useful gift! Looks fab!

Unknown said...

A wonderful and creative idea.
So pretty.

scrapnhawaii said...

A beautiful kit to make and to receive! I just love it!!