Monday, July 22, 2024

Art Deco Cameo Necklace Upcycle

Whenever we travel, I try to check out antique/thrift stores and flea market fairs.  I'm always on the  hunt for that bit or bauble that can be upcycled into a one-of-a-kind treasure.  On my last trip to Cape     Cod I discovered an Art Deco style cameo pendant that was missing parts but was made of gold filled metal and had a sweet carved pink shell cameo. It had missing parts but it was attractive and reasonably priced.  It had a place to add a dangling part so I used a gold filled head pin to attach a fresh water pearl. I wonder what kind of dangle was on the pendant originally in the1930's?  To match the pearl dangle, I used 24 gauge gold filled soft round wire to form a pearl chain with ten seed pearls.  The jump ring that came with the pendant was used to attach the pendant to the seed pearl chain. Finally, a purchased silver and gold filled chain with a clasp was cut in the center and the cameo seed pearl chain was attached to the ends.  I am very pleased with the outcome of this upcycled cameo necklace.  I think the whole look of this piece matches the style of the Art Deco period (1920-30).  If you look closely at the cameo carving, you can see that the hairstyle of the lady is one of a flapper from the Art Deco period.  Also the geometric lines of the pendant suggest that it was probably made during the 1920's -1930's.  This makes this 'found' piece almost 100 years old...a true antique! Do I dare to dream that my upcycled cameo necklace will last another 100 years? I can only hope!


 

1 comment:

eunice said...

Wow! Your jewelry upcycling skills are awesome. I am impressed at how you've taken into consideration the era of the cameo to match the style of your completed pendant. Beautifully done!