Thursday, February 6, 2014

Recycled Valentine Tea Tin

I was very excited when I emptied another tin of tea because I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it.  I admired the tea tin that Yvonne Yam (Do More With Less) decorated a while back, so I was eager to make one too.  I started by covering the tin with Tim Holtz seasonal kraft 12x12 paper.  Double stick Merikan tape (available at House Mart Ben Franklin Crafts) was used as an adhesive.


Next I affixed a paper doily (stained with Tim Holtz Distress tea ink pad) and a trimmed greeting card (from a Barnes and Nobles Valentine greeting card box).   Flowers from my stash were glued on with 3 in 1 Beacon glue (a personal favorite from BFC).

Self-adhesive lace trim was attached around the cover, but you could just use Merikan tape if your lace is not the self-adhesive type.  I decided to add a calendar to this project too, because I thought after the tin is emptied it could be used to attractively store desk supplies.  It's always good to have a calendar on your desk.  The very pretty red lace with sequins was purchased at an after Christmas sale....now I am kicking myself because it was so cheap I should have bought two rolls!...hoarder alert....LOL!


I believe the beauty of a project is often in simplicity and the attention you give to the details.  The decorative top was made by combining  a printed flower and a pre-made lacey crochet rosette....no work, just glue. Just in case someone looks at the bottom of the tea tin, I glued on a circle of the same Valentine printed brown kraft paper....attention to details remember?

Anyway, although this looks nothing like Yvonne's beautiful decorated tins, I think it has a similar feel and stems from the desire to not waste a perfectly good tin just because it's empty.  Now what should I fill this one with....cookies, candies, embellishments.....maybe be a personally mixed tea blend?  How's that for recycling come full circle?

6 comments:

Joy said...

It looks so vintage and romantic, Lynn! Love it!

eva said...

very pretty! i have a tin container that i'm planning to alter also. thanks for the inspiration!

Cheryl said...

Love your vintage can! Very pretty! Can't wait to hear what you filled it with.

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

What a super pretty vintage tin. Sure would make a great gift filled with all sorts of goodies.

yyam said...

I think it's really pretty! I really love how you did the lid! :)
Glad you gave this tea tin another lease of life!

Creations by Shirl said...

Love the vintage flair, this turned out really cute.. I'm sure it must look just as pretty on the kitchen counter...