Sunday, August 17, 2014

Engineering a Birthday Card

 I purchased a set of Tim Holtz Sizzix embossing folders awhile ago because I love the Steampunk look, but until now I didn't have a use for them.  My girlfriend, who is an engineer, is having a birthday and I thought that the embossing folders would provide the perfect background for her birthday card.  Together with the Art Impressions image and sentiment I think the resulting card will please her.
 Here a close-up of the neon clip I used to attach the sentiment to the card.  Actually I was looking for a regular paper clip (Can you believe it I couldn't find even one?) but I discovered a whole box of fancy ones in the back of my junk drawer.  I think I bought them from an office supply store and to me it adds just the right pop of color and high-tech look.
Because I embossed the left side of the card blank, the inside looks cool too.  The sentiment inside is rubber stamped (Viva Las Vegas stamp?) because my friend and I don't exchange gifts but I wanted her to know I remembered her birthday in a humorous way.
To color the AI image I used the Reeves watercolor 12 color pocket set available at HM Ben Franklin Crafts.  I loved the color selection and the ability to mix the colors to just the right shade, however for an image with such fine detail I would probably use watercolor pencils and a water filled pen instead.  What I do think is a plus for this watercolor set is that it has blending compartments on the lid and a fairly good brush is included which makes it very portable. Okay that's all for this post.  I hope that you enjoyed your visit to this blog site and that you will return often. Have a crafty life!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, I love the sentiment both inside and out! Great design and I'm sure your friend will get a kick out of it.

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

What a perfect card for your engineer friend. The inside sentiment cracked me up. Oh, that cake looks like it weight a ton. Fun b/d card!

eunice said...

LOL, Lynn you always make the BEST cards to laff by! Very cool how you used the 2 embossing folders together to frame your stamped image...guaranteed to bring a smile to any engineer's face. BTW, really like the almost whimsical water coloring you used on your images. Always enjoy seeing and learning from you about all the product choices available to create many different effects.

Annette Allen said...

those images are too fun.. this card is adorable and super fun.. your friend will love it and for sure to bring a big smile..

Leanne said...

O love that sentiment!! I need to remember it for my friends cards too.. Maybe even for my family, they'd LOL after reading it. hahaha. This is a really awesome card for an engineer. She'll love it!