Sunday, September 14, 2014

Double Tag Birthday Card

This card came together very slowly, probably because I usually struggle with masculine cards.  Since I recently purchased some Little B die sets from HM Ben Franklin Crafts, I decided to start with them. This card is for my son and these days we mainly communicate by texting, so I decided to incorporate a Hero Arts cell phone stamped image onto the card. (Yes, he has a purple phone!)  I was still playing with inks and watercolor paper from a previous project so I searched through my background stamps and found a Hero Arts number and symbols one that I thought matched the cell phone image.  Using the largest Little B tag die in the set I cut one tag from black cardstock and one from the stamped dyed watercolor paper.  Before taping (with Merikan) the two tags together, I trimmed the watercolored tag so that a black frame would show.  Oh, the cell phone stamp set includes many texted words bubbles and icons.  To give the phone a more realistic look I covered the face with acetate film and toned down the white with a grey Copic pen.
Here are the backs of the tags.  The sentiment in the corner is from a Mambi chalkboard sticker set (shown in a previous post).  The gold words were die cut from leftover foil wrapping paper using dies from another Little B die set.  The black tag back is an ideal surface for writing a birthday greeting in opaque white marker.  (I should have used black chalkboard paper :( .....next time.)  To add movement to the card, I linked the tags with a small ball chain (found in my junk pile, but probably available at BFC).  The chain is great for attaching the card to the gift.  Finally the saying on the smaller tag is from Funny Bones and the 'Time For Presents' stickers are from my birthday sticker stash but could be made with a Dymo label maker.
Hopefully my son will enjoy receiving this unorthodox birthday card.  He is at that age of revelation that we all arrive at eventually.....being older means assuming more responsibility.  When did I get old enough to have a son THAT old!

7 comments:

Annette Allen said...

if he loves texting.. he will love this card.. what a great background too.. love it

yyam said...

Oh fun! I love that texting stamp. I'm sure your boy will LOVE the card that you've put so much thought and effort into!

yyam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

Happy Birthday to your son!!! I love that phone stamp from Hero Arts even though I still don't have it. Lol! Your son must of enjoyed opening his birthday card and seeing how you made it even with texting. So cute! My son lives here and we still text each other more than call each other on the phone. Times have changed.

Unknown said...

Ooo love the variety of tags in that die set and love what you did! I have a hard time making things masculine too and I think you did a fabulous job!

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Oh, I too find making masculine cards a challenge and often times end up making something cutesy. LOL. Your son will love your card. Fabulous idea.

Leanne said...

hehehe! cool!! i bet your son loved this card!!