Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Spinning Polar Bear Holiday Hugs Card


I've been having fun playing with the new Ken Oliver Color Burst powders and Liquid Metals.  Although there are countless ways you could use these products, I chose to show how a color applied watercolor paper background panel could really enhance a simple card.
I started by first randomly adding some colors to a water sprayed piece of watercolor paper and swirling them until I was pleased with the results. I let the colored papers dry as I proceeded to make the rest of the card.  For each card I needed two 8"x5-1/2"panels of white card stock folded in half and one more panel of the same sized pearlized vellum paper.  I put all three pieces together (the vellum on the outside) and folded them in half, trimming the edges as needed. 
Next, I used a 2" circle die to cut the opening in both card stock pieces at the same time.  I stamped the front and back of the bear on white marker paper and colored them in with Copic pens. I used the matching Lawn Fawn dies (purchased at HM Ben Franklin Crafts) to cut them out. I glued a piece of twine between the two die cut bears and glued the twine within the circles of the card stock base, adding double stick tape to the rest of the card edges.
For the outside of the card I matched up the folded vellum sheet and traced the 2" hole onto it before lining up the circle die.  After cutting the circle in the vellum, I ran the vellum piece in the embossing folder through my Big Shot machine.  I used double stick tape to adhere the embossed vellum to the card base before adding the die cut (from DCWV foil paper) 'Holiday Hugs'(Sizzix). (I ran the words through a Xyron sticker maker to apply some adhesive and dusted the card with cornstarch to remove unwanted stickiness.) Finally, I added the trimmed to size dried color panel to the back of the card.  I love the brightness of the first card, but I think the paler second card allows me to write a message more easily.  Perhaps a white pen or silver one will show nicely on the darker colors.  I wish that my photography showed the subtle shimmer of the metallic liquid inks but I guess you'll have to try them out for yourself.  Time to go holiday shopping at HM Ben Franklin Crafts!


2 comments:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Ohhh, I love the watercolor backgrounds. Nice mix of colors and makes the cute bear pop. Awesome sentiment too. Don't think I've seen "Holiday Hugs" before. I love it.

Shirley N said...

Your color burst backgrounds are stunning! I bought some of these powders a while back but have left them to just sit on the shelf. You've now inspired me to get them out to play, too. Fabulous creation, Lynn, TFS!