Sunday, December 10, 2017

Vintage Christmas Gift Bag and Tag

 Whenever I see vintage Christmas papers I get excited because they remind me of my childhood.  It was a time when children and adults sent Xmas cards with sweet images and greetings.  Gifts were wrapped carefully with pretty papers and tied with shiny ribbons.  Today it just seems simpler to tissue wrap a gift and present it in a glossy store bought holiday bag.  To feel like I at least attempted to wrap gifts for special friends and relatives, I decided to use the special 12x12 decorated Xmas papers I purchased at HM Ben Franklin Crafts.  By angling the Authentique and Bo Bunny sheets, I was able to show off the lovely colors and prints on the front of a plain Kraft bag.
This close up of the Authentique vintage image reveals how I distressed the edge by rubbing with a moistened finger.  I really like the white printed burlap (DCWV) because it gives the bag additional texture.  My stash of vintage buttons was the source of the buttons used.  (Whenever you see a jar of interesting buttons at a garage sale or collectible shop, you should purchase it! Old buttons have so many craft possibilities.)
 The leftover paper scraps made a charming tag that included more buttons, a Petaloo blossom (from BFC) and vintage tag cut from an Authentic paper.  The burlap part of the tag was cut with a Sizzix Tim Holtz die because the burlap was quite thick.  You can easily cut the burlap sheet with scissors if you don't own the die.  I was pleased to use the Heiko ribbon (from Celebrations) because it has a vintage, rustic color and texture.  Oh yes, the ribbon on the bag also came from HM Ben Franklin Crafts.  It has a great woven embroidered look.  I plan to make many more gift bags and tags because these were so easy and fun to make.  Also, I can leave them folded up until needed and even take them on trips to have an instant gift wrap that won't be a roughed up by airport inspection.  I hope this post has inspired you to play with pretty papers and embellishments to craft your own Xmas bags and tags.  Enjoy this holiday crafting season!

1 comment:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

You created a beautiful vintage gift bag Lynn. Ready to fill it with goodies. You're so right about buttons, they make awesome embellishments and great 3D touch. Keep warm and Happy Holidays!