Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Boy's Day 2021 Treat Boxes


Traditionally, Boy's Day is a Japanese tradition celebrated on the fifth day of the fifth month, May 5.  In recent times I've seen that date referred to as Children's Day even though there is a Girl's Day on March 3rd.  Because I have only sons and grandsons, I have chosen to make Boy's Day treat boxes this year.  I started by cutting out the boxes with a Sizzix die.  I used a medium weight card stock purchased in Japan because I loved the faux fiber look.  After assembling the boxes, I crinkled strips of card stock using a hand held crinkle tool and glued them around each box.  Next, I stamped the images (Boy with Fish, Mari and Me) (Koi fish, Dandelion Designs) with dark blue permanent ink.  I carefully applied ink onto the words and stamped them onto a lavender card stock, then punched out the circle.  The images were colored in with Copic pens and part of the boy's kimono was paper pieced.
The boy images were adhered with foam adhesive dots and the circles were glued on with Beacon 3 in 1 glue. (Both adhesives can be purchased at HM Ben Franklin Crafts.)  For more interest I tied on some dyed paper fiber yarn (from Japan). The 'yarn' was sold in Japan during the summer and was used to make lightweight hats and basket handbags.  I think these treat boxes are perfect for holding goldfish crackers, Swedish fish candy, or perhaps older boys would prefer gift cards or money $$$$!!!  I hope you enjoy this day whether or not you have boys in your household.  Don't forget to fly your carp (one for each male in the home) to display your pride on Boy's Day.

 

1 comment: