Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Quiet Cards

With the recent passing of two family members and seeing some lovely sympathy cards posted on blogs, I decided to re-evaluate my reluctance to make grief cards. Usually my cards have too much bling and too many embellishments to be dignified cards. I decided to challenge myself and create a 'quiet card'. Here's what I made. I thought the calming colors of lavender and white would be suitable for a sympathy card so I used paper from a pack of Japanese stationery (from the new Celebrations store) and a pearlized white blank card. The new Hero Arts set (sold at Ben Franklin Crafts) with stamps and matching embossing folder seemed perfect for a background. I stamped the floral design in white ink and heat embossed it with white opaque embossing powder. Next I dry embossed the design using the folder that comes in the set. Then I stamped in lavender ink a floral spray and blank label (from another Hero Arts set) onto white card stock. I heat embossed the stamped designs with clear embossing powder. The words were stamped in the label with gold ink and embossed with gold embossing powder. The label and floral spray were die cut using the thin Sizzix die that comes with the stamp set. Using Merikan tape and pop dots under the floral spray the card was assembled as shown in the photo. (Sorry that the photos have so much glare; I couldn't seem to cut it down.) As a final touch and due to my inability to omit a teensy bit of bling, I added the tiny sparkly flower. I hope you enjoy seeing my attempt at making a 'quiet card'. Please visit again to see more of how I try to live a creative life.

5 comments:

Creations by Shirl said...

This turned out really pretty Lynn~
Sorry to hear about the losses in the family... It's one of the hardest thing especially for me to create those sort of cards... I'm soft hearted and get so emotional just thinking about doing it... But they do come in handy and I need to replenish my stash box with those type of cards again.

Joy said...

Hi Lynn,

Yes, very sorry about your recent losses to your family. It's always hard during those times.

I also bought that stamp set because I wanted to make my own sympathy cards. I have such a hard time finding very simple cards which I like best for that.

Your card turned out really nice and I think youachieved whatyou were going for. TFS!

Have a great week!

Cheryl said...

Your card turned out so pretty!!! I have to sit myself down one day and make a bunch of these too. Good to have them on hand. Sorry for the loss of your relatives. Hope you're doing ok.

Annette Allen said...

I am so sorry to hear of your family members. I will keep you in my prayers. Your card is very pretty.

Cami said...

This is so elegant, Lynn. I like the soft, subtle colors of lavender and white, and that embossing is beautiful! Sorry to hear about the loss of your relatives, and hope everyone is doing okay.