Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pumpkin Pincushion



When I learned that the caps of plastic bottles had to be removed and were not recycled, I was surprised and determined to find some crafty use for them. Of course you can always use little bottle caps to hold small amounts of glue or paint when working on a project. However, I wanted to use the caps for something that wouldn't be thrown away. I started with an orange cap from a Gatorade drink bottle. The color reminded me of a pumpkin. I wondered, "What tiny pumpkin project could I do?" Because I keep a small pincushion (vintage glass with a bird) on my craft table and find it to be useful to hold a few pins and needles, I started to envision the cap as the bottom of a small pumpkin pincushion. I think the project turned out very well and so I will post the instructions for this inexpensive recycling project on the bfcraftclub website. Pumpkin pincushions would be good party favors or teacher/coach gifts. Green or red caps could be fashioned into apples. The photo shows the pumpkin pincushion and a lovely real pumpkin from Laura-the-gardener. Don't you love the color of the real pumpkin? I think I'll make a bracelet with that dusty salmon hue and other autumnal colors. Isn't fall a great season of anticipation?

No comments: