Saturday, October 30, 2010

Autumn Jewelry

When I was a little girl my family lived in Illinois for a short time. It was there that I became enamored with colorful autumn leaves and acorns. I made this necklace to celebrate my childhood memories and recent trip to the east coast. You can click on the photo if you want to see an enlargement. The photo doesn't show the true colors. The glass acorn is actually a very nice olive green and the chain has matching green crystals. Copper was used for the findings because I love the warmth and earthy color....so autumnal. The copper leaf and acorn charms were a lucky find, but I'm sure if you really search you can find something similar at Ben Franklin Crafts, a thrift store (leaves are popular in jewelry), or you can try the bargain bin in a department store. If you cannot find a chain with crystal links, you can fashion one yourself with beads and simple wire-wrapping work. I had a problem with the multi-colored pearls because their holes were too small to accomodate a copper head pin so I used a piece of copper wire and simply made a tiny scroll at the end to hold the pearl. Ben Franklin Crafts has strands of varied shaped fresh water pearls in many hues at a very low cost. If you decide to create a necklace like this one don't be overly concerned with making it an exact copy. Make it original....like you......one-of-a-kind. Remember, even though we don't really have an autumn season in Hawaii, we can enjoy the fall by crafting!

1 comment:

kris said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! i wish we had more color changes for the seasons here in HI... not just green to brown! hehe! Happy Halloween!