Sunday, August 14, 2011

Got Scraps?....Make chipboard embellies!

How many times have you purchased those packages of chipboard embellishments and wished that there were more in the pack and that they matched your project better? Do you have so many paper scraps that you don't know what to do but you can't bear to throw them out? Here's my solution: Use the new Sizzix jewelry dies to make chipboard embellishments. Start with plain chipboard (cut it to the size of the die) and glue (Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky) on decorative paper (light-weight card stock works best). I glue the paper to the grey side of the chipboard. Once the glue is dry you can begin die cutting the various shapes. Put the side of the chipboard with the decorative paper against the die. Glue some of the pieces together and add some bling. Voila! You have instant embellies made from scrap paper. Now if you need a bunch of them to make multiple favors you can do it at minimal cost. Here are some cards, tags and a topper that I whipped up after making the paper covered chipboard pieces. The tags on the cards are not filled in because I plan to later stamp on a sentiment and use them for a birthday, thank you or whatever card. It's good to make lots of these and keep them on hand for those times when you don't have time.

I saw Joy (Joy of Crafting OC16 on Sundays at 6:30 PM) demonstrating a pop-up gift card that looked easy. (Instructions and measurements for the card are on her blog site http://joyofcrafting.blogspot.com/) It was easy; so I made a card and used a chipboard embellishment to decorate the belly band. I tacked the belly band together with small bits of Merikan double stick tape so that the recipient can turn it into a bookmark later. I'm not sure why the inside of my card had two borders on the sides. I don't think Joy's had borders. Ooops! Well, that's it for now......go use up those scraps!






3 comments:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Hi Lynn,
OMG, super clever ideas. Love all the creations too. TFS

Cheryl said...

Great idea Lynn! These dies are perfect to make chipboard pieced cuts for cards and of course use up the scraps that you have.

Cami said...

I love this idea of using up scraps and making your own chipboard pieces. Yours are all so pretty and I love the cards you've made using them! Now I have to go look for these Sizzix jewelry dies! TFS your wonderful idea!