Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Friday Night Shopping at Ben Franklin Crafts

Most of the employees who work at the Hilo Ben Franklin Crafts store know that I often shop at the store on Friday nights because it's quiet. I enjoy getting ideas from the crafty ladies and seeing what's new on the shelves. Because I've been traveling so much in the last two months, I'm not sure if the products in these photos are new or just new to me. Anyway, I discovered some fabulous Confetti 12 x12 papers from American Crafts. They are birthday themed and have 'happy' colors which match with products from American Crafts and other companies. It seems that thank you and birthday cards are the ones that I most often craft. Also birthday celebrations are the ones that in the year are likely to get captured in scrapbook layouts, so these DP sheets are very useful. In the photo the Confetti zig zag sparkling ribbon and the striped rolls are also from Am. Crafts as are the Remarks dimensional number stickers and Flair adhesive birthday badges. The ribbon pack, jeweled flower brads, and adhesive candy dots are from Pebbles but I think they really go well with the Am. Crafts Confetti line.
I know that the Prima line of flowers and embellishments are not new but I think these packages are different. Of course this company is constantly coming up with new flower assortments to tempt us, but now they've begun adding metal and bead assortment packages. I have a feeling that these new items will be great additions to jewelry crafts that you will no doubt want to try once you see the Sizzix dies designed for jewelry making. I've noticed on my Friday night runs to BFC that lots of families are making a trip to the store a weekend event. They tell me that they are staying home more, crafting for entertainment, and have plans this year to make the gifts they give. Perhaps the downturn of the economy will have a silver lining and make the next generation more interested in family values and less concerned with brand name clothing. Until next time, be good to yourself and think happy thoughts.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow, you found a bunch of goodies to make new projects with! It's nice to hear about people making gifts to give and especially crafty gifts.

kris said...

oh if you love AC's birthday line then you'll LOVE Doodlebug's fun-fetti line!

the new primas are very pretty! lots of people are making their own flowers too...

i think that it's great more families are doing more crafty things, especially for the holidays... makes the gift even more special... we do that as well... simple as decorating a picture frame! thanks for sharing your shopping trip... =D

Shirley N said...

Oh, oh, here you go again Lynn, lol, looks like more things to put on my "must have" list! I love the idea of homemade vs store bought gifts!

Islander Girl said...

Wow, you got some great stuff! I love AC products and also prima flowers!!! I agree, birthday themes are always on the top of my "to buy" list! Can't wait what you create with them.

Cami said...

Oh no, I've got to go down to BF PC to check the new stuff out! There's really nothing more precious than a handmade gift, and more and more people are turning to crafting for all their handmade gifts and party favors and invitations. Have a great weekend, Lynn!