Saturday, May 5, 2012

Hungar Games Pendant

I love it when I can design and make a piece of jewelry that seems to tell a story. This piece started with the resin piece (I included a Vintaj brass bird as my homage to the Hunger Games) and slowly chose other charms which seemed to fit well together. Ben Franklin Crafts carries a plethora of charms in both their bead and papercraft departments. For strength (some of the charms, like the Prima bird cage are heavy) I used Vintaj chains and for color I added a turquoise leather cord to match the bird charm.
Although not really visible in the photographs, I used the Sizzix Vintaj embossing folders (for metal) on a Vintaj blank copper leaf. The embossing is really easy to do and makes the flat metal come to life. Amazingly, the embossing folders can be used in the same Sizzix machines that do the regular paper embossing and die cutting.
Finally, I wanted to show you how I finished the necklace by making my own clasp. I couldn't find the right closure to match the organic look of the necklace so I bent one of the Vintaj metal sprigs into a circle an used a hook on the other end. It really is important to attend to the details in any craft project you attempt because it is what will set your work apart from the ho-hum stuff. Thanks for visiting, now go forth and create!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow Lynn! Your necklace is beautiful!!! How long did it take you to put this necklace together? Everything matches well.

Fanny said...

It is lovely. I love vintage accessories! Thanks for sharing!