Monday, February 18, 2013

Lemon Tree Harvest

For the first time our little 3 ft. lemon tree had a crop of fruit.  It was a really good yield so I've been thinking about what to do with the fruit.  Of course I'll make some lemon curd and lemon chicken which are family favorites.
To start, I decided to try revising an old lemon bar recipe so that it won't have as much sugar or use white wheat flour. (We are trying to lower our blood sugar numbers.)  The lemon squares turned out great tasting but I was hoping for a denser, shortbread-like crust layer. Yum! I guess I need to do more experimenting. LOL!

Anyway, I made a pillow box container and gave some lemon squares to a neighbor who likes lemon flavored foods.  Before folding the die cut box, I stamped a lemon design (old Stampendous set) on it.  If you don't have the Big Pro machine or pillow box die, you can use the machine and die at Ben Franklin Crafts if you buy their card stock paper.  The label for the box was made using a Sizzix die (Bookplate and Tags) and was tied on with twine.

 When life gives you lemons, I hope you'll always be positive and do something to make the world sweeter!

3 comments:

Joy said...

Sounds delish! And I love your cheery box, too! You must share your recipes!

Migdalia said...

Cute & Yummy!TFS

Leanne said...

Looks yummy!! What a wonderful treat and so sweet that you share with your neighbor with that adorable wrapping. I'm with Joy you have to share the recipe.
:)