Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Postcards


While looking for ephemera in an antique store, I came upon a rack of vintage postcards.  They were quite intriguing because of their graphic designs and endearing handwritten messages.  I liked the simpleness of the postcard to relay a thought or feeling. "After buying some Kitty Bee Designs stamps from Ben Franklin Crafts, I came up with two versions of a twisted use of the 'cute' KBD stamps.(I hope my use of the stamps is not offensive.)  The first postcard was made by stamping the designs on white cardstock, coloring them, cutting them out and gluing them onto a kraft paper postcard. The grass was punched out using a Martha Stewart border punch,  The stars were stamped and colored with color pencils.(Click on the photo to enlarge.)

The second postcard was made by stamping the designs on a piece of computer paper and cutting them out. Then the back of the mask was covered with 2-way glue which when dried made the mask repositionable. With the masks on the watercolor paper postcard, I painted watercolors over the entire postcard.  Once it was dry the masks were removed and the animal designs were stamped in the white spaces.  Watercolor pencils were used to color the designs and any white spaces in the background. Details were drawn in with a black Sharpie.

The third  postcard (click on it to enlarge the image) was made by stamping a Hero Arts postcard tag stamp (from BFC) onto a piece of kraft paper cardstock and cutting out the tag. Then the reverse side was stamped with some 'steampunk' images from Viva Las Vegas and Inkadinkado,  I hope that my interest in postcards has piqued your interest too and you'll try making a some too.  Most of the supplies you need can be purchased at Ben Franklin Crafts.  Postcard crafting is quick and seems to bring out the silly side of me. I apologize for my irreverent Easter Bunny humor  LOL!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my goodness...this is too cute! Love the postcard look and love KBD stamps as well!

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Love these. I got several KBD stamps the other week too. Cute images and perfect size, not too big and not too small.

Creations by Shirl said...

Great showcasing on those KBD stamps, love Ruth's designs on her stamps....

Annette Allen said...

aww these post cards are amazing... i did not know HA had a postcard stamp...love it..

Happy Thursday My friend..

Tammi said...

I never thought of making my own postcard, and I have all the stamps for them lol! Love your idea and the cute cards you made Lynn! As to the shadowbox, I hope you do a seashore one, will look forward to seeing it! ~hugs

eunice said...

These KittyBee stamps are the cutest ever! And I'm lovin' and laffin' along with your clever "twisted humor"!