Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Cameo, Pearls and Gemstone Necklace


Sometimes planning and finding just the right parts are the most time consuming phase of jewelry making. That was the case for this vintage cameo necklace.  The small pink coral hand carved cameo is not quite an antique (100 plus years old), but it is still a beauty discovered in a tray of antique store bits and pieces....priced at about $10-$20.  I hand wire wrapped the small pearls with gold filled 26 gauge wire from HM Ben Franklin Crafts.  The double strands of gemstones were purchased from a vendor at the Tucson Rock and Gem Show and were probably made by some super patient/skilled person in India.
In this close up you can see the detail of the cameo carving and delicate vermeil? (gold plating over silver) finding.  There was an extra loop on the bottom of the pendant so I added a pearl and gemstone dangle.  A long time ago I purchased the fancy sterling clasp from HM Ben Franklin Crafts just because it was pretty and I knew I would use it ....someday.  I think the filigree clasp with a safety catch is a perfect finish for this 'someday' project. This jewelry project made me very happy as it turned out better than I imagined and gives me more reason to search antique stores and hoard 'pretties' for future one-of-a-kind jewelry pieces. The magpie bird keeps flying and searching for shiny things. LOL!

1 comment:

JohnBilly said...

How beautiful pearls are here! I am looking for such one for my wife's birthday. I think, it will look brilliant together with her favorite https://www.alyaka.com/ she uses for the makeup. The color, structure - everything here will make a queen with the correctly chosen cosmetics.