Monday, May 18, 2009

Monkeying Around

I just returned from a trip to the big rock. While there we spent some time with our older son and he gave me a very funny Mother's Day card. Later during the trip I saw some monkey scrapbook paper that reminded me of the monkey card my monkey boy gave me. Of course I had to buy a couple of sheets and of course I now wish I had purchased more than two....sigh!
Before I left on my trip, I bought the Sizzix die cutter that makes the mechanism for a spinning pop-up (for use in a card). Since I wanted to make a quick thank you card for my son, I thought that this would be a good opportunity to try out my new 'toy' and use the funny monkey paper. Shown here is the resulting card. I kept the front of the card simple so that the inside would be more surprising. For the scalloped inner circle I used the see-through Sizzix die cutter. The 3-1/2" circle will require at least a 5" card blank so the circle won't show when the card is closed. There are many cute papers with animal prints so you don't have to use a monkey print. You can always use a monkey rubber stamp to make your own monkey paper if you do want monkey paper and can't find any. The rubber stamp used inside the card is from Hero Arts. Initially, assembling the pop-up requires some reading of instructions, but it is not very difficult. I think having a pop-up cutter allows me to quickly put together impressive cards for any occasion.

No comments: