Monday, May 24, 2010

He's a Graduate!

I can finally relax a bit because my son's graduation was on Saturday. All went well, even his val speech. There was so much confusion after the ceremony because of the large number of graduates and people who wanted to give them leis. I feel bad that we didn't get to see everyone who gave our son leis. Hopefully they know how much he appreciated the time and effort it took to be at the graduation/make a lei even if he can't remember exactly who gave him which lei.

Pictured here are some of the quickie leis we assembled in a marathon lei-making evening. We chose to make candy/snack leis because the flower leis really get crushed by the time all the leis are around the neck of the graduates. I still had a few crochet leis that I made last year so we gave out those too. The good thing about yarn leis is that they stay good looking for years and can even be recycled to another graduate. That's not tacky.....that's being GREEN. LOL! What I wanted to point out about our candy leis is that we dressed them up by tying on the artificial orchid leis, Mardi Gras style graduation beads, or bunches of wedding favor flowers from Ben Franklin Crafts. I'm sure that you can find all sorts of interesting decorations at BFC to make your candy leis more unique. Well, before I take another needed nap, I have to finish a few more grad cards and get them in the mail.

2 comments:

kris said...

YAY!! congrats to your son and best wishes on his new adventures!! OMGosh, i still have some leis from my graduation, even the dried up flower ones, LOL....

Cheryl said...

Wow! Congrats to your son Lynn!!! You made some very nice, special leis for him. Hope you're caught up on your sleep.