Monday, September 6, 2010

Back from Boston


We returned last week from a rather long trip to Boston. As usual, it was fun traveling to somewhere different but Hawaii no ka oi. On this trip Flat Leilani (from Joy of Crafting) traveled with us and came out whenever the weather was clear. She enjoyed the sights at Cape Ann in Rockport Mass. and rode a swanboat on the pond in Boston Public (see photo)Garden. Boston Public Garden is the large park in central Boston which was centuries ago called Boston Common and used by the people of Boston to meet and conduct meetings. It was also the setting of the famous "Make Way for Ducklings" story by Robert McCloskey. This book was one of my childhood favorites and the reason I was determined to someday ride on a swanboat in the Boston Public Garden. I finally got my wish! By the way, the swanboat is powered by foot and the man pedaling ours asked if Flat Leilani was related to Flat Stanley. I think Flat Stanley is the character created by Tim Holtz. (Correct me Joy if I'm mistaken.)
Parents take note: Be sure to read good books to your children because you never know the impression they'll make and what goals they'll inspire. (Make Way for Ducklings was a Caldecott Medal winner.)

1 comment:

Janis said...

what a nice shot of the boat ride. Glad to see that flat Leilani traveled well. TFS! =) Hugs, Janis