Friday, July 15, 2011

Sea glass necklace

Recently, I came across a collection of sea glass and together with this wire-wrapping book idea (see bottom photo) I was inspired to do more sea glass jewelry. (I had a blog post on a sea glass necklace about a year ago.) Please click on the picture to see the detail of the wire-wrapping in the photo. These necklaces differ from the older version because they use the new silver plated wire sold at Ben Franklin Crafts. I used 24 gauge for this project because it is thin enough to go through pearls and wraps easily. There are many different gauges and brands of silver plate wire at the store now. Also this silver plated wire is inexpensive as compared to sterling silver so you can really experiment with wire-wrapping. For my necklaces I only used one piece of sea glass so that they would be the focal point. The top piece has just a simple chain and the other one has a chain made with wire-wrapped beads and pearls. Well, I hope this has given you some ideas of how you can incorporate found objects into your jewelry pieces. Happy beach combing and crafting this summer!













4 comments:

kris said...

The necklace came out great Lynn!! i love the ocean themed colors... you definitely make beautiful jewelry pieces... excited to see what else you create!

Cheryl said...

Just beautiful Lynn! I've never made any kind of jewelry and I wouldn't know where to start. Hope you're having a great weekend!

Islander Girl said...

Oh my that's gorgeous!!!!! Love it! BTW, I received my package. Thanks so much for the goodies!!!! Love everything! You are so sweet! Have a great day in paradise! Aloha!

Shirley N said...

Beautiful necklace Lynn, love the colors!