Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Vintage Fruit Spoon and Low-Sugar Blueberry Jam

What's a fruit spoon? Well, in this case (sorry the photo doesn't show how beautiful the spoon really is), it is a utensil that has a bowl embossed with fruit shapes. I believe it was once used for jam or was from a set of spoons used for the Victorian fruit course. When I found it in an antique store for only $5, I grabbed it with a smile. It has a maker's mark (on the back of the handle) which indicates that it was made in Sheffield, England so I know it is a high quality heavy silver plate spoon.

Why low-sugar blueberry jam? Because Hawaii has one of the highest (if not the highest) ratio of diabetics per population in the nation, I've begun to recalibrate my recipes to cut back on sugar. I love summer fruits, especially blueberries. In season a big container of blueberries is quite reasonable. Anyway, you'll need about 3 cups of berries and 3/8 cup of Splenda Blend to make a jar of jam. Put the blueberries in a medium size saucepan with the Splenda Blend and some lemon zest (if desired) and cook it on medum heat for about 20 minutes until the jam drips from the spoon in a thick large drop. Pour the jam into a jar and let it cool before refrigerating.
This recipe can even be made with frozen berries. Because blueberries are high in antioxidants, this low-sugar version is healthy when eaten in moderation. Using a pretty vintage plate and eating the jam with high-fiber bread will make this a pleasant and healthy snack. Enjoy! Be healthy!





4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oooh, that looks yummy Lynn! What a pretty spoon and plate.

Shirley N said...

You mean that's all there is to making blueberry jam? I love blueberry jam--gotta try this, TFS Lynn! Lovely vintage spoon and plate!

Jenny V. said...

What a pretty spoon, I love to collect vintage as well. Your jam looks yummy too, I know it's hard to cut back on sugar but it's good to get started. Thanks for sharing hope to try making my own blueberry jam.

kris said...

You always find the most interesting pieces! awesome! the jam sounds super yummy, especially for being a borderline... =D