Sunday, July 24, 2011

Too Much Basil?

What do you do when your garden produces more basil than you could possibly eat? I make pesto. It's easy and yummy. All you need is about a 1/3 cup of toasted pine nuts, 1 cup of basil leaves, approx. 1/2 cup of good quality olive oil, a couple of slices of parmesan cheese and salt/pepper to taste. I use a Magic Bullet blender but probably any small blender would work. First I grind up the cheese, then add the cooled nuts and basil with the oil (a little at the time) until a thick liquid results. You may have to add more olive oil. Voila! You have homemade pesto to dress up your sandwich or add to salad dressing. This pesto will last for weeks in the refrigerator and make a super hostess gift. When life gives you basil, make pesto! Go Green!





4 comments:

Shirley N said...

Oh yum, I love basil and your recipe sounds delish! TFS Lynn, I'm going to try this!

Cheryl said...

Yummy, you should come up with a recipe book. Looks so good!

Islander Girl said...

Yum! Pesto is good mixed with mayo like how they do it at Costco and smothered on a ham croissant sandwich! Yummy! Hmmm, now I want some! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lynn, TFS your recipe. I absolutely love pesto. I have lots of basil growing in the garden and you gave me the perfect idea what to do with them. :) Mmmm, mmmm...good!
-Regina