Saturday, March 31, 2018

Tales of Two Easters

 The Sugar Easter Egg

One Easter long ago my parents gifted me with a much desired sugar Easter egg. (You know the kind, decorated outside with icing and with an opening to peek in and see a beautiful scene made of icing.)  I loved that sugar egg and never ate it...wonder what happened to it?  Anyway, that long ago treat inspired me to make this card.  I started it by die cutting (Spellbinders) two egg shapes from white card stock and die cutting a smaller egg shaped hole in the center of one of them.  The one with the hole was run through a Xyron machine to apply an adhesive backing.  Onto the sticky background I sprinkled some fine white sparkle glitter to give it a sugary surface.  I found some frilly blue trimming and vintage-looking flowers in my overflowing stash and applied them to the front of the card.  Using the Impression Obsession 'Easter Greetings' die I cut the words from DCWV shimmery peach colored paper. I think the front of the card succeeded in giving a feeling of the delicate beauty of the too-good-to-eat Easter treat lovingly given to me by parents who knew I 'needed' it even though it was really did not fit in our family's limited budget.

The Chocolate Rabbut

The second Easter tale is one of woe not wonder.  It started with another Easter celebration gift from my parents, a large decorated chocolate candy rabbit.  I loved chocolate but I really had a difficult time taking even a tiny bite of the ears or tail because I feared spoiling the look of my treasured treat.  Our family was traveling to the other side of the island for a camping trip so I carefully placed my chocolate bunny on the ledge of the backseat in our non-air conditioned car. You can guess what my Easter rabbit looked like after the two hour drive. My sister and I cried over the loss especially since the ants attacked the chocolate puddles in the boxes making the whole melted mess totally undesirable. Anyway, the inside of this card is homage to that sad, sad Easter.  I started by stamping the Lawn Fawn image onto brown card stock with white ink. I sprinkled the inked image with white opaque detail embossing powder and melted it with a heat gun.  Next I applied Glossy Accent to the parts I wanted to look like chocolate and used Bo Bunny Pearlescent Paint to detail the ribbon, ear, nose and tail. Then the chocolate rabbit was die cut and mounted with foam dots. The grass was cut with a hand punch and the sentiment (from the Lawn Fawn set) was curved on an acrylic block before stamping.  I hope you've enjoyed reading the two tales of my childhood Easters and now understand that background stories often influence my craft work. Have a sweet and memorable Easter celebration!

1 comment:

yyam said...

So sorry about the melted Easter Egg chocolate. Hope you've learned your lesson: just eat it! lol

Thanks for sharing your tales...your projects are lovely!
Happy Easter!