Thursday, April 9, 2020

Recycle and Decorate Your Used Soap Dispensers

With all the extra hand washing we are doing in regards to the Covid-19 virus, you must be piling up  empty soap dispensers.  Here is my solution to this problem and it's a way to save money too.  I've always refilled my liquid soap dispensers (even the foam type) as I know that it is bad for the environment to throw them out.  I started these decorated dispensers by carefully removing the label from the used dispenser. This sticky label is adhered to a piece of card stock and cut out.  This then becomes the pattern for making a new label.  Trace the pattern onto some patterned or washi paper (lots of choices at HM Ben Franklin Crafts) and cut it out.  The dispenser still will be a bit sticky so simply adhere the 'new' label and apply a suitable decorative sticker.  I used stickers from my stash (old BFC stock) and the rabbit one which is a Heiko seal (lots of  them currently at HM Ben Franklin Crafts and our Celebrations store). Finally, I applied (with my finger) a liberal amount of LED resin on and around the label. I set the resin in about a minute using a portable LED lamp.  Both resin products are available at HM Ben Franklin Crafts.  To enhance the surface, I applied a second coating of resin and set it.  I am very pleased with how these recycled soap dispensers turned out.  They not only don't take up space in landfills, but because you can refill them from jugs of liquid soap, they are a real savings craft project.  Also, by putting only about an inch of liquid soap in the foaming dispensers, adding water and shaking , you can get the liquid to rise in the dispenser pump and produce the soapy foam.  I really hope you'll start recycling your soap dispensers.  You'll have fun and feel proud of your efforts in these troubling days. Stay safe and be healthy!

1 comment:

eunice said...

This is such a great idea, and I love how your washi labels with resin applied onto them look even better than the original labels!