Sunday, March 3, 2024

Girl's Day Treat Box

Those of you who have visited this blog site before may have noticed that I am a big supporter of recycled craft projects.  This Girl's Day Treat Box has a Big Island Candies Xmas box as its base.  The box was very sturdy but very Christmasy so I decided I first needed to cover it.  Because when the box was unassembled there was only one flap that was glued down, it was easy to flatten it into one layer.  However, that layer was larger than 12", the standard size of printed cardstock. Since this was going to be a Japanese themed box, I decided that one of my large washi sheets (wrinkled lavender paper with gold flecks) would work well.  Visit Celebrations in Mapunapuna to purchase some large washi paper sheets. After laying out the deconstructed box on the washi paper, I traced around the cardboard leaving a 1/2" margin.  I cut along the pencil lines and glued down the flattened box before cutting closer to the edges of the pattern.  I used Beacon 3 in 1 Fabri-Tac glue. Because the washi paper is quite pliable, I was easily able to fold the box once all the extra paper was trimmed off. 
Using the I-Crafter dies, I cut out the Asian girls, their kimonos, and accessories. Patterned origami paper (lots available in packs at HM Ben Franklin Crafts and Daiso) made dressing the paper dolls easy. The dies also made indentations for the facial features so it was simple to draw them in with a pen.
I used a TAJ stamp to stamp the words on some scrap paper and then they were heat embossed in gold. I glued the piece with the words onto gold foil card stock and fussy cut the edges. Artificial cherry blossoms were cut off a stalk and glued here and there.
Because the original Big Island Candies box had a poinsettia design on the cover, the petals were a bit too pointy so I rounded the edges before gluing on the flowers.
As you can see, the box opens rather uniquely and has three layers. I think this makes the contents of the box more intriguing and exciting.
A special handmade box like this really needs a wonderful treat inside....maybe some pretty and delicious Girl's Day mochi?  Yes!  I'd LOVE that...gimme, gimme!

 

1 comment:

eunice said...

Always enjoy seeing how you very creatively upcycle boxes that you've saved. This one is quite a fancy one and you did a fantastic job of dressing it up and repurposing it for Girls Day. Especially love your kawaii die cut and pieced kimono girls!