Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Easter Earring Holder? Memo Holder?

Because I've been admiring Yvonne's  lacy photo canvases ( her blog is Do More With Less) for awhile, I decided to try one but in my style and with the purpose of making an earring holder.  I started by covering a canvas purchase at Ben Franklin Crafts.  I simply glued the lace (from my ancient stash) over the edges of the canvas.  I let some of the lace hang over the bottom edge because I liked the scalloped effect.  The whole scene started because I had leftover die cut eggs and a chocolate bunny that I really appealed to me. (See previous posts to learn the info on the products used.)  To further fill out the scene I used a die cut dress form, thread spool and button which were made using a Tim Holtz die.  I used Tim Holtz crackle paint to distress the dress form and spool.  I further embellished the die cut cardboard pieces with Viva cream paints. The printed paper dress forms were cut from a 12x12  Bo Bunny card stock.

Ribbon and flowers were added to a corner of the lace covered canvas. After trying  out the earring holder, I decided that the space left for the earrings was too small to hold many earrings and the result was too busy anyway.  Next I thought maybe this decorated canvas could be used to hold memos or photos.  I purposely did not glue down the diagonal edge of the striped paper and the top edges of the dress forms so that I could stick papers behind them.  I also made some butterfly stick pins to aid in securing memorabilia.


However, after adding some papers into the pocket and behing the dress forms I still felt the whole piece was again too busy and would be even worse with photos.  I really like the overall look of the original lacy canvas but now I need another purpose for it. 
Did you get the humor of an hour-glass dress form with the hollow chocolate sentiment? That makes me smile because I love chocolate in any form but I really don't have the figure to freely indulge in it very much these days.
I love the TH crackle distress paint.  It comes in many colors and I try to use it as much as I can.  I'm just a vintage, Victorian girl in spirit but not age!
I find lots of uses for these paper flowers I purchased from Lupicia (a tea store in Ala Moana Center).  I'm always on the prowl for pretty things.  You just never know where you'll find your next favorite thing.
This photo shows the pretty blue lacy ribbon I purchased from Ben Franklin Crafts.  There were lots of pretty choices in the Easter section.  This ribbon really dresses up the sides of the canvas.
I'm sorry that I do not have a completed project to show you.  I have imagined another use for this decorated canvas.  I'm going to try to turn it into a clock!  First, I will have to stabilize the back of the canvas to support a small battery  powered clock. Then, I will need to purchase a suitable clock.  Eventually, I will finish this project and if successful, I promise to show it to blogland.  To be continued...........


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love seeing your canvas evolve! I think either of the projects were super cool and pretty, but a clock! Now that I can't wait to see!!

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Wow, what a fabulous canvas project Lynn. Sure love all the details. I especially like the hollow chocolate sentiment. Gotta remember that every time I much on chocolates. Can't live without it. Ha-ha.

Leanne said...

Hi Lynn,
The transformation is coming along beautifully. Love all the details and hopefully you'll figure out the end result for your canvas. I love the pretty papers and the gorgeous flowers. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
MFS!
^.^