Monday, April 7, 2014

Easter Matchbox Tag or Gift Holder

I love little boxes, so when I found this Tim Holtz matchbox die at HouseMart Ben Franklin Crafts, it was a given that I would buy it.  I have another die that makes larger matchboxes, but this one is just perfect for housing a little gift or note.  I put a ribbon loop on the bunny girl matchbox because I plan to use it as a gift tag for an Easter gift.  I like that these matchboxes as only small pieces of card stock are required so I was able to again make use of my scraps...yay!
The TH die is a very clever one because the two die cut pieces fold so nicely and form a snug fit.  Although not absolutely necessary (except on the outside seam), I did put a few pieces of Merikan double stick tape here and there to form a more secure box.

As you can see from the photos I threaded the ribbon through a hole that I punched and secured the loop with a knot and a bit of 3 in 1 Beacon glue.  The bunny girl is actually a Darice sticker from BFC which I just stuck on the box because it was cute and perfect right out of the package.  Lots of sweet Easter stickers in the inexpensive set.

The rabbit waiter matchbox started with some card stock that had a vintage look so I decided to ink up an old Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers stamp.  The stamp image was too large for the box top so I inked up the words and image separately and stamped them to fit on the rectangle of  rough newsprint-like paper.  Then I used Derwent watercolor pencils (from BFC) to color the image and background.  I like working with watercolor pencils to achieve a retro look because I can keep adding color until I am satisfied. Once the panel was dry, I adhered it to the box with Merikan tape.

The bunnies in this photo were added for interest and color.  Aren't they adorable?  They are bottom weighted stuffed animals (seen in my last post) that I purchased from Ben Franklin Crafts. I think they would make adorable table decorations for an Easter luncheon.  Actually, decorated matchboxes would look great on the table as party favors/place cards.  I hope this post has provided you with some inspiration for your holiday festivities.  I would love it if you could spare the time to leave a comment about your Easter crafting plans.  Have a  Happy Easter!

8 comments:

Annette Allen said...

aww these are the sweeties.. i love them..

SuiLan said...

Awe these little matchboxes are very cute! And you find the cutest things at Ben Franklin.

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Super cute matchboxes Lynn. So perfect for little gifts. And I really like how you added the ribbon loop and flowers. You're so clever.

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Super cute matchboxes Lynn. So perfect for little gifts. And I really like how you added the ribbon loop and flowers. You're so clever.

Maire Gamber said...

How cute, I just love little boxes too. I will have to. Heck out that die!
Hugs Marie

Leanne said...

Aww Lynn, you've done it again!! Now I need to go look for that die!! hahaha!
Love the vintage feel to the boxes. These would brighten up any table setting including those cute bunnies.
I don't normally make things for Easter, but I might make some tags for goodies for my co-workers and family. TFI! Have a great day!
^.^

snowbear said...

These matchboxes are so cute... just love the waiter bunny stamp!! perfect choice.

lorrie said...

Hello,
I love the boxes and your work. I was wondering if you ever want to sell the RBBB rabbit stamp I would love to purchase it from you.
Thank you so much,
Lorrie