Friday, April 24, 2015

Roses Are Red and Pink

Here is another card in the series using the same C.C. Designs image that was masked off and watercolored over for the background.  I opted not to add any bling-bling embellishments to keep the look soft and because I am not sure who I will send this card to and for what occasion.  It looks like a birthday card to me so I will probably stamp an appropriate sentiment inside because the outside is already pretty busy.
The tip for masking that I mentioned in my last post is that I used an extra wide washi tape (from Celebrations).  I cut a piece of acetate to fit the image and covered it with washi tape.  Next I stamped the image onto the tape and cut it out.  The cut washi image was used to mask the image that was stamped on the (Spellbinder) die cut watercolor paper.  This photo also shows the Gansai watercolor paint set that I am enjoying because of the intense colors. The image stamped washi tape can be stored on the acetate piece and reused many times. I colored in the image with Copic pens for more controlled blending.
On this card I embellished with a Petaloo rose and picot edged satin ribbon (sold in a giant roll for lei making). Both were from HM Ben Franklin Crafts.  The photo below shows the die cut Paper Smooches rose I glued to the inside of the card.  I thought the rose matched very well with the Dear Lizzy double-sided printed cardstock (see bottom photo) that was the base for this card.
I like to cut several pieces once I have my Big Shot rolling but I found that this particular die has many small cut outs.  I could have thrown them away but I wanted to save them for possible future projects.  My solution was to die cut the roses or leaves and adhere some washi tape over the entire piece while they are still on the cutting pad before removing the border pieces.  This way you will have the inside pieces saved on the washi tape.....my cool idea tip for you! How did we craft before washi tape????

4 comments:

eva said...

wow, so many great ideas in this one post! i like that wide washi for masking. and i have those water colors on my wish list for sure. thanks for sharing your pretty card and ideas!

Unknown said...

So pretty!

Unknown said...

Such a sweet, framed image with a lot of great tips...how did we survive without washi?! haha

Leanne said...

oh love the details on this card Lynn.
The wide washi tape is genius! I've never seen it that wide. What a great tip! Very pretty all around.