Friday, April 3, 2015

Washi Eggs in a Basket

Every time I buy another roll of washi tape, I realize that my 'collection' is turning into an obsession. I am always on the hunt for another use for the colorful, translucent stuff.  Recently, someone (can't remember who) showed how use washi tape to decorate real eggs for Easter.  That gave me an idea to decorate die cut paper eggs (Spellbinders die set) with washi tape.  It is a fun use for the printed tape and helps to use up my stash...yay!
The basket was created using a Sizzix die that was supposed to be for cookie pockets (what????).  I found the die in the clearance box at the Hilo HM Ben Franklin Crafts.  There are a few more; I think. A braided twine handle was glued on to form the basket and a Paper Accent tag with a Dandelion Designs sentiment was added.  I used a bunch of washi tapes from BFC and Celebrations (next door to the Mapunapuna BFC). Ben Franklin Crafts now carries a wonderful line of washi tapes from Japan as well as beautiful ones by Little B.  The whole card was sized to fit into a 5-1/2" square envelope.  Oh yes, because the basket has some actual space inside, I was able to add some sticky foam squares under the front eggs to add more dimension.  Great Idea!: I can fill the basket with some flat craft supplies like stickers, ribbon, etc. to give as a gift/card for any occasion!
At the end of any crafting session, I always have lots of 'extras' on my desk.  Here's what I did with the 'egg-stra' washi covered die cut eggs and the bits and pieces that seem to accumulate everywhere. These tags will jazz up some pretty Wilton cello treat bags I purchased from HM Ben Franklin Crafts.  Have a sweet and egg-citing Easter!

7 comments:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

OMGosh Lynn, you are so clever to turn the cookie pocket die into an amazing Easter basket. You sure filled it with some cool looking eggs and a sweet tag to top it off. Love how you think "out of the box" to create multi-purpose use of this die. Your tags are so pretty too. I have some washi tape but challenged on how to use them. Thanks for the idea. HAPPY EASTER!!!!

eva said...

those eggs are so sweet and creative! haha, always best to use up some of our stash. got your comment about sharing the jewelry -- i may get around to that soon. thanks for the interest! happy easter too!

Unknown said...

Super! I LOVE how you take dies and make them fit your themed projects. Happy Easter!!

Annette Allen said...

Don't you just love Easter.. these are awesome projects Lynn.. fun designing.. thanks for the inspiration.

Leanne said...

Wow Lynn!! Love that Easter card with all the fun Easter washi eggs. Great dimension and use of your washi stash. The tags are another fun touch too. Very pretty all around.

eunice said...

I am only now feeling relaxed enough and more or less caught up enough to go blog hopping...actually have been lurking, but haven't had time to comment on all your fab projects! LOL, I totally know what you mean about hoarding washi tapes. Using them to decorate your die cut eggs is a wonderful idea...definitely want to try this with my Easter projects next year! And your basket...I just love how you always come up with such creative ideas, using things you already own to make something brand new. The added dimension you achieved by adding the braided twine handle and foam in the basket is ingenius! Your amazing card turned out to be a wonderful gift as well!

yyam said...

Awesome use of washi tape! Love the Easter egg basket!