Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Bargain Shopping

With everyone worried about the downturn in the stock market, it was good to see our loyal customers were shopping as usual on Sunday. Remember I said that I would return to Ben Franklin Crafts to purchase another Hello Kitty die cutter. My choice was Hello Kitty's little rabbit friend. She is so sweet and I know I'll use her on Easter projects this spring. I also bought a pillow box die cutter, which I think will make it easy for me to make lots of boxes for gift cards and handmade jewelry. The pillow box shape is easy to decorate and assemble.

I was happy that I found several bargain items while shopping. In the Bead Shoppe I found stretch bracelets at two for $7 (going on sale soon for $10 for 4). There were lots of choices, mostly gemstone and shell bracelets. I plan to take them apart and restring them because the beads are very attractive but the stretch elastic construction looks cheap. I am really excited about the long shell slices with two holes. I am planning to use them in a wire wrap necklace project. The white and blue disc pearl bracelets were also a good buy because the pearls had two holes, which gives them an extra design element.

The other super bargains at Ben Franklin Crafts were one dollar (yes, $1!) wooden handle rubber stamps and clear stamp sets from Studio G. The holiday themed clear stamp sets contained mini designs and some had words. I thought the graphics of the wooden handled stamps were great and I purchased lots of Halloween designs. I was told that the stamps are selling quickly. I plan to use the Halloween stamps on treat bags. I think the Thanksgiving mini stamps would look good on a dinner invitation. The words and small Christmas designs are perfect for tags. I'm sure the inexpensive rubber stamps would make terrific party favors.
The photo I posted does not really go with this blog, but I wanted to show you what I did with the fairy and cupcake garland I purchase on a previous shopping trip. Although I plan to use the covered dome for holiday desserts in between sweet treats I thought that it would make a clever display piece for decorations. (Click on the photo to see a close up.)

No comments: