Monday, April 4, 2011

Rutilated Quartz and Copper Necklace


I love jewelry that can be worn in more than one way and match several outfits in my wardrobe. Necklaces like this one fit the criteria and that means it makes a good piece to take on a trip. I got the idea for the project from a tumbled gemstone necklace I bought from a department store clearance table. (The regular price was outrageous!) Sometimes it's worth it to buy a piece for inspiration and measurements. (Especially if it's on sale!) Anyway, I'm always attracted to multi-colored rutilated quartz so when I found a strand of roundells, I knew I could use it for this project. I tried to find spiral copper bead caps but was unsuccessful so I fabricated them myself. (See second photo.) It took a long time but was mindless work done in front of the TV. Two coils of 20 gauge copper wire and a copper S hook (plus the beads) was all it took to make this entire 34" necklace. New beads should be arriving shortly at Ben Franklin Crafts (maybe there already) so look for a 16" strand roundell bead strand that pleases you and try out this project. Thank you for being a visitor to this blog site.

No comments: