Friday, September 21, 2012

Celebrating a 30th Birthday

I've been subtly told by my sons that my birthday cards for them are a bit childish and sometimes girly.  By starting with a blank kraft paper (Sierra Pacific) card that I bought in a 50 pack set from Ben Franklin Crafts, I thought that I had a good beginning for a manly card.  Looking to other bloggers for inspiration, this is what I created for my son. (Yes, I was 10 when I gave birth to him!)  First, I used double stick tape to adhere a square of watercolor paper to the card.  Next, I printed the words (Hero Arts background stamp) in white ink over the entire card and heat embossed it with white detail embossing powder.  Then I used Copic pens to draw circles on the slightly dampened watercolor paper square. You should experiment with other markers and papers to get the kind of color bleed that you desire.  For the final touch I added the number stickers. This masculine(?) card was easy to do and surprisingly pleasing to me (I usually love girly-girl and bling-bling).  I hope you'll give this technique a try.  Happy card crafting!

5 comments:

Creations by Shirl said...

This turned out really pretty Lynn..
Happy 30th birthday to your son...
Great technique on those circles it looks transparent through the other colors, I do something similar when doing balloon images...
TFS - Happy Friday and have a great weekend~

Annette Allen said...

wow turned out amazing...He is going to love it...Happy Birthday to your Son...

Have a wonderful weekend..

SuiLan said...

I've been wanting to try stamping with white ink on Kraft paper. You're card turned out really great Lynn! HBD to your son!

Cheryl said...

Your card turned out really nice! Hope your son liked it. Wow, 30 already?

eunice said...

That's so neat...very cool effect of the copics on the embossed words! Definitely the perfect card for the HE man type of guy... Happy Birthday to your son!