Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Cat Kokeshi Dolls Thank You Card

 I recently read Marie Gamber's (Inky CreationsWith Marie) post and learned about making a 'bokeh' background and decided to give it a try.  Since I just received a very interesting kokeshi doll for a birthday gift, I opted to test out Marie's technique on a one layer card using an old Mari and Me kokeshi cats rubber stamp.  First on watercolor paper, I stamped and heat embossed the design using black Momento Ink and Nuvo Glitter Noir powder. Then I applied the Distress Inks (Dusty Concord, Dried Marigold, Broken China) directly onto the background.  I used a Q-tip cotton swab to color in closer to the dolls. With the same swab dipped in alcohol, I touched various places on the background to leave 'water spot' marks. The cats were colored in with Copic pens. I think that the watercolor paper absorbed the inks too quickly so next time I will try a slicker marker paper, but for a first try I am very pleased with the look of this card.  Don't be afraid to try new things....life is too short to always be afraid of making mistakes.

2 comments:

Shirley N said...

Heard about this too but haven't tried it yet. I think your results were very nice for your first try!

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

The cat kokeshi dolls are so kawi'i. A great card for a kitty lover for sure. Very nice background too. Have a super weekend Lynn.