Saturday, February 23, 2019

"Omiyage' Bringing Home a Gift of Thanks

Local folks know that when you return from a trip it is customary to bring home gifts for family, friends, and those who helped to make your trip enjoyable.  This gift is called an 'omiyage'. I really should make decorated 'omiyage' bags before I go on a trip....but you know how time doesn't allow this.  Therefore, after returning from the Tucson Rock and Gem Show I had to make a quick bag and tag. These were inspired by the Japanese minimalist style and used just a few sheets of origami paper.
I used a Sizzix circle die set to cut the 'o'  and wrote in the rest of the of the word freehand. Using a die from my frequently used Little B tag set, I did a similar design on the tag which I will use on plain handled bag. The 'o' could be cut with oval dies but I felt the circle 'o' had a more Asian look.

I hope this post has inspired you to make simple, quick 'omiyage gift bags and tags.  They really only take a few minutes and will make the recipient feel very special and know that you are grateful for them.  Okay, go use up those origami paper scraps!


2 comments:

eunice said...

This is such a great idea, Lynn! Your gift bags have that special Asian infused "designer flair" and look so good. The die cut "o" really adds a special touch... gosh, I wish I had your eye for design and talent to put patterns together quickly to create like you do! Amazing!

Joy said...

Hi Lynn!

Theses are very pretty!And a great use of those basic dies!