Friday, February 12, 2010

Chinese New Year Money Envelope Cards

I purchased some Chinese stickers, rubber stamps and red money envelopes from Ben Franklin Crafts with the intent to make something to celebrate the Chinese New Year. However, I didn't realize that this year both Valentine's Day and the start of the Chinese New Year were both on the 14th of February. I've already shown lots of Valentine crafts so I thought that I should post at least one Chinese New Year project before the 14th. The red part of this card is actually a traditional red money envelope that Chinese parents give to their unmarried children. I folded the top down and taped it in place so that it can be filled with money and yet serve as a dramatic card front. I stamped the Hero Arts designs (Prosperity Smile and World Dolls) on white cardstock, colored them, and cut them out. I put some 3L black foam squares behind the cutouts to raise them off the card. The stickers and red envelopes are from Amscan and the white linen card is a Paper Arts product. These cards are so easy to make that you can produce a lot of them and mail them out instead of the expected Valentine's Day card. Even if you aren't Chinese, you can fill the envelope with a gift card, coupons, movie tickets, etc. Have a Happy and Prosperous Chinese New Year!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I love how you used the Hero stamps to make these cards!!! Very nice job!