Friday, August 20, 2010

Dinosaur Easel Birthday Card

I've always admired easel cards that I've seen on other blogs and in magazines, but I've never tried one before. It's really easy to make. You start with an upright card blank with the fold on top. Then score and fold half way down the front. Cut another piece of cardstock the same size as the card front and attach it to the folded down front flap (the lower half). Use pop dots to attach a piece as a brace to hold the front of the card upright.


This card looks like it is for a little boy but actually it is a birthday card for my grown up son who lives in San Jose. I started feeling nostalgic while viewing some old family videos. When did that little boy who loved dinosaurs grow up? As soon as I saw the TGF stamp set that had a little boy clutching a toy brontosaurus, I knew I had to buy it. The stuffed toy on the stamp looks exactly like the one I made for my son decades ago. He loved that brontosaurus who was named 'Bronty' after a character in a children's book. I hope when he receives this card it will bring back happy memories. I get misty-eyed just thinking about those sweet, innocent days of my son's childhood.
You won't find the printed paper I used because I had to stamp my own using a Basic Grey clear stamp set. I just couldn't find the right design or color even though I have stacks and stacks of paper. I also made the blue paper (embossed with alligator-like impressions) by sandwiching it in a Cuttlebug embossing folder (so quick and easy). After displaying this easel card for awhile, I hope that my son puts it in the album of cards and mini-scrapbook pages that I gave him. He better not toss it aside or HORRORS......throw it away! I may have to disown him if he does. LOL!

2 comments:

Dinosaur Birthday Invitations said...

His birthday card is unique and simple, it doesn't have a lot of accessories but it is pretty. Well done.

Islander Girl said...

Too, too cute!!! Love it!