Sunday, January 15, 2012

Making Guava Jelly

Recently, I heard that our state is planning to introduce some insect or virus to kill off guava plants as they are considered an invasive species. I am the granddaughter of a guava jelly factory owner and I cannot imagine not having guava jelly in Hawaii. With this impending disaster on my mind, I decided to ask my son to pick our precious little yellow guavas so I could teach him to make some jelly. From one little bowlful of guava we were able to produce a small jar of jelly (sweetened with Splenda Blend). Tonight I will make scones and tomorrow for breakfast we can have yellow guava jelly with our scones and tea. Cheerio, tah tah for now!

8 comments:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Hi Lynn,
Oh, your guava jelly and scones look so yummilicious. Ummmm, I can taste it now. :-) Hopefully, the guava plants won't be destroyed intentionally.

Cheryl said...

Yum, yum! No wonder you know how to make jelly. That looks so delicious! When I was little, my mother had guava plants in our yard and I remember eating them and lilikoi's too.

Creations by Shirl said...

love scones with jelly - yours looks and taste even better...
How interesting on your background.
Is this a family recipe, or can you share it....

SuiLan said...

Yes I can't imagine not having guava. Your guava jelly looks really delici-Ono! I've never tried making guava jelly before but I have a "Guava Jelly Belly"!!! ;)))

Annette Allen said...

mmmmm that looks so good...

Cely said...

Whaaaaaat? No guavas? No guava jelly? That's the only jelly I eat! Yours looks YUMMY.

Expressions & Inspirations said...

I pray the guava plants will be safe. My toast or smoked meat won't be the same without guava jelly. :(

Carole said...

Great post. I am right into making my own jelly. http://caroleschatter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/11/making-jam.html