Saturday, August 9, 2014

Stay Positive Butterfly Card

To test out one of  my new dies, I grabbed the backside of the tea pouch ( I used the front to make my cat condolence card that was posted previously) and ran it through my machine.  It took a few passes before I got a clean cut, perhaps because the die is so intricate. Does anyone else have that problem with very fancy dies? Any technique tricks?  The resulting test cut was so pretty I decided to make it into a card.
 At first I was going to put die cut butterflies and flowers, but I decided to simplify my normally 'more is better' style  because the doily die is so fancy.  I chose to cut a butterfly from iridescent vellum using the smaller die from the Spellbinder set.  The back wings were cut with the other die that cuts and embosses. I think the two pieces together make a gorgeous butterfly. The set has a two piece larger butterfly too.
For the sentiment I used a stamp from a Paper Smooches set.  I stamped it in gold ink and heat embossed it with gold powder.
I wish the Sizzix doily die was a bit smaller because the card had to be 5x7 to accommodate it, but it is so pretty I still think it is worth getting (purchased from HM Ben Franklin Crafts).  When I first saw the butterfly dies I thought that they were too intricate and I knew that I would have some cutting problems, however they turned out so beautifully I don't mind the extra work it takes to get a clean cut. In the end, I was glad I kept the card simple because the lovely die cuts can be appreciated more.  I hope you'll visit Ben Franklin Crafts to see what new dies are now available to make your paper crafting more exciting. Thanks for visiting this blog site and please leave a comment if you have some time to spare.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow that really is an intricate die, but super pretty! Love that you tested it on packaging...such gorgeous results. I've heard that using a metal shim works well with intricate dies, although I haven't tested it myself. I think that die would look fabulous for an embossed look as well where I've heard you can use felt to get the die's impression vs. an actual cut. Hope all is well in your area!

eva said...

very pretty! love intricate dies too but i am impatient when it comes to getting clean cuts. i think metal shims are supposed to help. i've also tried just adding another piece of cardstock to get just of bit of extra thickness to cut through cleanly. i also do multiple passes through the machine just to make sure all the tiny bits cut through completely.

Annette Allen said...

WOW WEE THIS IS TOTALLY GORGEOUS.. i love it.. very creative

Leanne said...

oh what a beautiful card Lynn! I love the pretty colors and the layout. Gorgeous die! I love those Sizzix dies, but the intricate ones can be tiresome. hahaha! I've found different ways to get it to work, but when all else fails I drag out my Craftwell Ebosser. I've used wax paper in between the die and the paper and I've also added extra paper in between the plates and have run it back and forth several times. I guess it all depends on how intricate the die is and how your plates are. Hope all is well in your area! MFS!!

Maire Gamber said...

What a beautiful and elegant card!
have a great day!
Hugs,
Marie

eunice said...

Wow!!! This is SO PRETTY! I love to collect butterfly dies and was looking at this particular set this weekend at BFC...now gotta go back and buy it for sure! Looks fabulous cut with the iridescent vellum. Intricate dies are great to use on cards but so tedious to clean up...I usually use a metal shim together with waxed paper...