Sunday, August 9, 2020

Japanese Paper Sample Cards

 These two cards were inspired by free sample cards I received from a vendor at a trade show years ago.  I didn't use the samples to make anything but I always intended to...hehehe!  Anyway, while sorting out my hoarded Japanese washi (embarrassingly large) stash, I had a light bulb moment and set out to make these cards.  First, I selected six paper swatches for each card and put the stiffest paper at the bottom.  Each sheet was dampened on the bottom edge before tearing to achieve the deckled edge.
Next the sheets were layered, trimmed and tacked at the top edges so that most of each sheet was free floating. This way the card recipient can tear off the papers to use on a project of her own.
 The words (Hero Arts) and Japanese characters (Mari and Me) were stamped on the cards using metallic inks before heat embossing with metallic powders  My wooden stamps are vintage and probably difficult to find, but you can discover lots of great ones at HM Ben Franklin Crafts. Make a paper sample card and give it to a crafter who might enjoy making a card using the washi paper sheets from your card....that's recycling!

2 comments:

eunice said...

Ooh... your washi swatch cards look so elegant! What a refreshingly clever idea; I especially like the colors you selected to give a sort of ombre look... very pretty!

Annette Allen said...

oh wow these are stunning.. very creative and cool.