Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Kyoto Temple Fair


 One of the events that I always enjoy attending in Kyoto Japan is the Toji Temple fair held on the 21st of every month.  We were lucky to have clear weather during the last Toji Temple fair and enjoyed the shopping and eating.  The handcrafts are really amazing and the fair food is delicious, but I really attend to spot some antiques and collectibles in the side alleys of the fair. We did purchase quite a few lovely tea bowls for under ten dollars each.  In an antique store these would probably be about fifty dollars per bowl.  Also the yen to dollar exchange is fabulous right now.  I hope these photos encourage you plan your next trip to Kyoto Japan during the 21st of the month so you can experience the Toji Temple Fair.




This is the gorgeous scenery near where the fair is held which makes the shopping and strolling particularly enjoyable.




I am always attracted to the ceramic wares.  Whether they are new or old I can't stop looking for the next fabulous purchase.




The ceramic artists who sell their pieces at the fair are exceptionally talented.  They combine the new designs and glaze colors with the traditional shaped ceramic ware.




At the fair you can purchase really delicious goodies like the strawberry mochi in the photo as well as takoyaki balls and dried persimmons.




Many of the booths are actually small tents selling anything from jewelry to kimono fabric scraps.  I bought some of the kimono fabric because it was inexpensive and I know I'll be able to craft something pretty with it.



I can never resist ceramic ware like these bowls and teapot because they are pleasant to look at and enjoyable to use.  The old hand painted teapot was only $3 and all it needs is a bamboo handle.  




As you can tell I am a 'Thrifty' who can't resist a bargain or a thing of beauty and believe me you can find both at the Toji Temple Fair on the 21st of every month (except maybe during the winter months). 



P.S. For those of you (like me) who always want to be sure that there are good sanitary facilities at any big gathering of people, rest assured that the Toji Temple grounds do have super clean restrooms with lots of stalls and a cleaning crew.



1 comment:

Annette Allen said...

oh wow what an amazing trip... Thanks for all the photos..