Thursday, September 17, 2009

Another Ocean Inspired Necklace


I keep thinking about my childhood summer days spent at the beach. Whenever September rolls around and school starts I still have the melancholy feeling of wanting to hang on to the salty sea taste, briney ocean smell, and the feel of sand between my toes. Even as a child I was a collector of shells, rocks, driftwood, and other treasures washed ashore by the ocean. My days as a student are long gone, but I still find inspiration for my jewelry from my summer beach memories. I remember wearing puka shells around my neck for years (that dates me doesn't it?), so when I found the square puka shells at Ben Franklin Crafts Bead Shoppe; I knew that I had to use them in one of my creations. The necklace in the photo also has small blue opal pebbles, abalone shell beads, African turquoise daggers, blue frosted glass beads, and Swarovski sand opal bi-cone crystals, all strung on thin nylon cord. Some of the beads are separated by knots and copper beads/caps. To add a bit of asymetry, I added on a single copper starfish. Right now BFC has a good selection of glass, shell, and gemstone beads that you can use to make your own beachcomber's jewelry. Making ocean inspired jewelry for someone far away from their island home is a very thoughtful gift of aloha.

No comments: