Friday, March 18, 2011

Fossil Necklace


When my oldest son was little, we visited lots of science museums because he was interested in dinosaurs. I always made it a point to stop and shop at the museum gift shops for souvenirs. After awhile I had quite a collection of fossils and today I still like looking at them. This fossil ammonite necklace is my attempt to showcase the beauty of an ancient sea creature. To me, the crusty irridescent surface of the ammonite pairs well with the antique look of the Vintaj brass dragonfly finding. It was easy to mold the metal around the fossil by using a bail pliers. I added jewelry cement to secure the fossil in place. The bottom photo shows how the necklace looks with the strands separated. I think that the brass chain and silk ribbon match nicely with the handmade gemstone chain. Yes, each link of the chain was handformed and includes a semi-precious bead. Although the chain did take a long time to complete, I do think it was worth the effort. It is so rewarding to be able to incorporate some sweet family memories into my handcrafted jewelry. Create a wearable memory and tell someone its story. Thanks for visiting and I hope you have an outstanding week!



No comments: