Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Healthy Treats

Doesn't this look like a calorie-laden dessert? Well it is just bananas, strawberries, and a Jello sugarless pudding cup. The presentation is what makes it look appetizing. Wouldn't your kids love this for an afternoon snack? Here's another 'dessert' idea. With blueberries in plentiful supply this summer, why not offer your children a pretty bowl filled with berries topped with scoops of Greek yogurt drizzled with agave syrup? It looks like a luscious treat and tastes like one too. Plain yogurt is way better than the kind with fruity stuff in the bottom. Agave syrup is as sweet as maple syrup but doesn't raise your blood sugar level like surgar.



This final photo is of an island favorite...soybeans! Not only is it a healthy snack, it is easy to prepare. Rather than cooking the beans in salted water (this wastes salt), boil and drain the soybeans once the beans are tender. Sparingly sprinkle on salt (coarse Kosher is good). I think that part of the reason these healthy eats are tempting is because they are presented attractively. (The last two ceramic dishes were created by a company called Natural Element, a company in Boston.) If you take the time to create an eye-pleasing dish you can also offer a treat focused on good health. Be good to yourself.......eat healthy!


7 comments:

Creations by Shirl said...

Ooh lynn~
All three are all so yummy, my fav I think is the soybeans....

leilei said...

ohhh, its never good to see ANY kind of food while your pregnant!!! These are making me hungry! I think Ill go make me some blueberry and yogurt...
tfs
Lei

Shirley N said...

Ummmm, you're making me drool.... Looks yummy!

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Ummm,I just had dinner and now I'm craving something sweet. They all look so yummy delicious.

Cheryl said...

Very yummy! I've been buying a lot of fruits lately too. Great ideas on healthy treats. Soybeans are favorites in our home too. Have you tried it with garlic and salt?

kris said...

ok, i'm not sure if i was checking out the dishes or drooling over the yummies on it... hehehe! TFS!! Love it all...

SuiLan said...

oh these look wonderful...I will definitely make them for my little ones...Thank you!