Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Valentine Stand-Up Calendar Card

I wanted to make a stand-up Valentine card but I didn't have a die for one and didn't think I could cut one with a craft knife.  Then I had a brilliant idea to use one of the Little B heart dies from the set.  First I made a 5"x 5" card from a piece of double sided Pebbles cardstock (5"x 10"), making sure that the one way pattern was going the right way.  After folding the card front in half (2-1/2" from the bottom), I determined where I wanted the main heart and placed the heart die on the card using a magnetic platform to keep it place. (You can use washi tape if you don't have a magnetic platform but test it first to make sure it won't peel off some of the card stock). To get the die to cut only half of the heart, place the top clear cutting pad in line with the half card fold.  This placement will allow the pressure of the Big Shot to only cut the top half of the heart out.
I used the same 3-1/2" heart die to cut the arrow print card stock (Crate Paper 6x6 pad) which I taped to the half cut heart on the card base.  The Lawn Fawn elephants were stamped with Memento ink and colored with Copic pens (light grey and lavender). I cut the banner from XOXO print paper (from a Pebbles 6x6 pad) using a Paper Smooches die and stamped the LF sentiment  (came with the elephants) on it.
For more interest I added the arrow (the tip stuck down with This n That foam square cut in half) and the faceted acrylic heart.  Both of these items were in the American Crafts (kiss kiss ephemera pack), which has 94 pieces and is a real bargain.  The Vippies calendar is secured with its own double stick tape and is what helps to hold up the card front. Except for the calendars and Paper Smooches banner dies, I purchased all of these items from HM Ben Franklin Crafts.  You should check out the store soon because there are lots of fabulous new items being sold at very reasonable prices. See you there!
P.S. When I first read the sentiment I thought it said, "Love Your Tons" and I thought what a rude thing to say!  LOL!

5 comments:

eva said...

so very creative and cute! your last sentence made me giggle -- that would be a rude thing to say!

Annette Allen said...

oh wow this is awesome.. Love how it opens and the little surprise inside.. love it

yyam said...

Love how you got creative to get the effect you want! You are so adventurous when it comes to cards!

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Perfect sentiment for the cute elephants. Had to laugh a little when I read what you thought you saw.

Leanne said...

hehehe, this is adorable and that sentiment is perfect! Yikes, I would have thought the same thing... Rude! hahaa! Glad it turned out alright. hehe.
Have a great day and weekend!