Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Rosemary Garlic Potato Bread


I found the recipe for this bread in a magazine and since I had all of the ingredients and the heavy cast iron Dutch oven, I decided that I should try to make this intriguing bread.  I have never added mashed white potato to any of my bread recipes or used a Dutch oven to bake bread. Well the loaf turned out perfectly, maybe the best loaf I've ever made! The interior of the loaf was soft and moist. I was surprised that the exterior of the loaf was not crispy but nice and tender.  The taste of the bread was delightful and a bit sweet.  Next time, I may add more garlic and rosemary to give it a more pronounced taste.  Although I did basically follow the recipe, I did tweak it a bit to accommodate my cooking preference.  My mind is already thinking of variations to this recipe.  How about using sweet potato?
 


Rosemary Garlic Potato Bread

6 cloves garlic
1 tsp. olive oil
1 cup cooked mash russet potato
3/4 c warm water
1/4 c packed brown sugar
3 cups bread flour
1 T instant yeast
1 T chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper

Start by mincing the garlic. Combine it with the olive oil and cook it in a small frying pan being careful not to burn it.  Let it cool.  Mix the potato, water and brown sugar in a large bowl.  In another bowl whisk the flour, yeast, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Slowly add the dry ingredients to the large bowl, mixing with a wooden spoon.  When it gets too stiff, mix the dough with your hand.  If the dough gets too stiff, add a little water at a time.  Place the soft dough ball in a clean, large bowl with a bit of olive oil. Turn the ball to coat and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for about 1-2 hours.  

Place the cast iron Dutch oven in a 450 degree oven set on bake.  When the dough is ready, knead it a bit on a flour dusted surface.  Shape the dough into a ball and place it on a large piece of parchment paper and cover it with plastic wrap.  After 20 minutes dust the top of the dough ball with flour and cut slits on top.  Carefully take out the heated Dutch oven and place the parchment paper with dough into it.
Cover the Dutch oven and bake for 30 minutes. Cut the loaf after it is cool.  Enjoy plain, with butter or paired with stew!




1 comment:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Ummm, that looks sooo good. Bet it's great toasted and eaten with butter and jelly. You're a great baker. Thanks for sharing the recipe too.