Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Fairy and Butterfly Upcycled Container


This upcycled decorated container began as a cylindrical Crabtree and Evelyn soap box.  I liked the size and floral scent within the covered tube box.  Because I had recently seen a fairy card that really appealed to me, I decided to look through all my fairy crafting 'stuff'.  I discovered a barely used Hero Arts large die (from HM BFC...I think).  Usually, vellum cuts easily with detailed dies, but a thin vellum didn't cut well so I ran a thicker vellum through my Big Shot machine...several times.  I thought that the plum colored vellum looked just right on the Distress Oxide ink (HouseMart Ben Franklin Crafts) colored background paper that I made.  Measuring very carefully, I cut the background paper to fit the container, cutting the strip of paper for the cover from the whole piece so that the cover and bottom would match.  After gluing on the paper (Beacon 3 in1 glue), I also glued on the die cut fairy piece.

The back of the container looed so bare that I had to add something interesting.  I found a Spellbinder die and an a rubber stamp with a favorite saying so I used them on a leftover piece of hand dyed paper.  A butterfly sticker completed the look I wanted for the back.

I couldn't neglect the inside of the box especially because it had a few stains from the soap bars it once contained.  A thin botanical paper was a perfect fit and really dressed up the recycled box.
Here's a close-up of the fairy decoration showing the oval label and sparkly crystals that I added for a
little bling.

                                           

The top of the container needed a little decoration too, so I painted the rim with acrylic paint (to cover up the printed design of the original box and then glued on some fluffy flowers.  What do you think of the newly upcycled box?  Wonder what I'll put in it....maybe a gift of soap???  LOL!


2 comments:

eunice said...

What an absolutely beautiful box you created. I am impressed with all attention to detail, including the blossoms on the lid and especially how you lined the inside of the box! This will undoubtedly be treasured by it's lucky recipient!

Annette Allen said...

oh wow this is beautiful.. very creative